Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Damaged

As I spent some time online today, I found myself on a friend's facebook page. His religious view read: The church has damaged many in the name of God.
How true this statement is. It is not necessarily intentional but over and over the church has hurt, ridiculed, shunned, or attacked others. We claim to do everything in the name of God but as humans we continually fall short of His perfection, love, mercy, and grace. We could never be God because His ways are so far beyond ours that we can not even mimic Him well. Yet He continues to allow us to carry His name. We go out into a lost, hurting, and dying world. We carry the name of love and truth and grace. We carry the name of a savior. Sometimes we are not reflections of that love, truth, and grace.
So I guess my question is, if we agree that "the church has damaged many in the name of God," how do we become part of the solution rather than part of the problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment